Sean O'Reilly says "Tell Me Tell Me!"(Exclusive Interview Part 1)




Sean O’Reilly who calls Connecticut home is a singer/songwriter that if you do not know him is one artist that you “need to know.” After listening to his music one will be taken back from the vocals that seem to have no restrictions and the music that comes alive. Every performance that even shows through his album exhibit how he pours his everything into that moment and is simply with you for the grand musical journey that will be felt from all. What a great experience Sean O’Reilly gives which here at “Let The Beat Hit You!” is pleased to announce has chosen as one of our select “Artist in Residence” for a reason.

This year has been a true momentous one for Sean where he released his new album entitled; “Volume 1” along with a terrific single accompanied with a music video; “Tell Me Tel Me” (which is a personal favorite).

Sean O’Reilly has an insane vocal range that just blows me away.  His vocals are to be compared to Freddy Mercury where there are no boundaries and it is simply skies the limit. One has to experience Sean O’Reilly live either via attending a venue he is performing at or via the internet on platforms such as his incredible StageIt performances. Sean truly loves to have his fans feel like they are part of the musical journey where they are right with him for the adventure that is about to unfold through the story of his song. Sean often harks back to the feel of the singer/songwriter of the 1970’s with the likes of James Taylor, Carole King, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Jim Croce and countless others. You can simply see Sean mixing in with these other greats and be right in his comfort zone and place where he belongs. Do not get me wrong Sean also loves to mix it up and not be categorized in one specific genre but to be with no boundaries where placing new and fresh electronic sounds. I like to think of Sean as a musical scientist that is never happy to be where he is but to try another new combination of infused sounds in his laboratory being his home studio.
Sean O'Reilly StageIt Page: http://www.stageit.com/seanoreilly    
(Sean performs every Monday night @ 9 PM (EST) via StageIt)


Official "Tell Me Tell Me" Music Video:



Sean O'Reilly Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/seanoreillyband

Sean O'Reilly ReverbNation: http://www.reverbnation.com/seanoreilly

Interview Conducted By: Mason Williams
________________________________________________________________________________________


1)      Sean it is a true pleasure talking with you today. Let’s first talk about one forum that seems to be a hugely beloved site being StageIt. I actually was introduced to your music via this site which lent me to discover your official website, youtube and other media sites. It is a great forum for both fans and artists to stay in touch on a global medium. You also do something that your fans must love which is a standing date/time which is every Monday evening at 8 PM (EST). Talk to me about what drew you to utilizing StageIt and to continue.

 Mason, as you know “StageIt” is an internet based forum where I can get an international  taste. Playing shows for a global fan base that otherwise would not discover my music or I about them on such a regular basis. It truly allows me to get to know everyone in such an intimate setting. I am allowed to get to take the time to get to know people I consider friends and vice versa. It is a powerful tool for both the musician and the fan to keep in touch. Additionally, it is such an incredible venue to test music out that I am writing along with ideas where the fans/friends are honest and give intrigal feedback. It is important to keep one’s ear on what your listeners are wanting and to have a circle which evolves for all. I actually during my current StageIt sets do the entire show with my grand piano taking requests and playing new material from my new album along with concepts I am just coming up with. The performances always change and stay fresh which keeps both me and the fan watching have a new experience and insight into my music. The keyword for my shows is “spontaneity!”

2)       Sean you have such an eclectic sound, how would you describe your music?

 I have been told that a great description of my music is; Indie electro, Folk, Pop, Songwriting with a focus on the 1970’s sound.

3)      Tell us about your current album entitled; “Volume 1”

 The motivation for this album was to move away from my past experiences with music which was recording it all in such a typical manner which involved the typical process of going into a studio and record with other musicians. The process resulted in great material but it was not the organic process that I dreamt about. When recording all material for “Volume 1” it was a decision to go the direction of not the typical manner of a label’s studio though to do have my own hands in the entire process from start to finish. This is my first project that I can say I ever done this approach which is exhilarating and the results I could not be more proud of. The idea for this album was for the listener to hear electronic abstract sounds and lend them to actually hear the sound without having distractions. I am aiming for the listener to actually hear the song with the words and all other things brought down to have the song the star.




4)      How do you choose material that would make it to the album?

 I have a huge array of material and even while recording “Volume 1” additional songs were penned daily. At the end of that day I would have to find the value within the song. With those evaluations I would truly determine if the song saw the light of day or it was a fun muse for the moment and nothing more.

Songs chosen were one’s with different elements of emotion within one song. Singing and allowing the imperfections and raw emotions to draw the listener for the actual musical journey. Being able to take the listener on a journey to understand me and what we are going through together. Singing to that listener specifically.

5)      Talk to me about the Rock Opera from 1970 in which your father originally wrote and your passion is also being poured into this project.

 To first understand where the Rock Opera came from was my father’s dream and hard work. He was actually within the music industry signed onto Warner Bros. My father was part of a musical group called; “The Mission.” They released an album with one track having the lead vocals being recorded by Mary of the great “Peter, Paul, and Mary.” My father was nominated for a Grammy for written material he did entitled; “Yesterday Is Gone.” My father stayed busy in the music business during the late 1960’s and 1970s. During this time he wrote his first and only Rock Opera entitled; “Virgin.” This project after being completed was picked-up by Paramount Pictures and the New York Philharmonic performed the music from this Rock Opera twice.  The premise is two main and intigral characters being a Priest and a Nun who fall in love.
The production examines the modern view of love, spirituality, and religion. I came across the material recently and wanted to bring the opera out to the world for a new reintroduction. My passion for this project went as far as working with my father and to make it more current I wrote new material such as a track entitled; “You Weren’t There.” This I hope fleshes the story out more and speaks to people now with current topical issues and be relevant not just a retrospective of a time gone by.  2014, is great where I am working on taking this production to an Off Broadway release which requires a lot of drive and patience.

6)      One of my favorite songs is your latest single; “Tell Me Tell Me” which vocally fits you like a glove and is simply a great song.

 I went what others said about this track where my guitarist enjoys performing it live and my good friend had a great storyline for this particular track which would be a lovely music video. The concept was fresh. Filming of the video ended during the winter of 2012 upon editing not being completed due to my hectic work schedule did not end until December – January 2013. To talk about my thoughts on “Tell Me Tell Me” it is like any other song I pen where there is never placeholder words done. Every line of every word was done for this song as I exactly originally recorded it. The song was done in an organic manner where it was relatable as a story where someone is interested and finds out they are essentially invisible to the other person that the love is not reciprocated.

7)      Talk about your song journey.
  I try to write everything from inspiration. If nothing came to me I would walk away from it.

8)      I am very excited to talk to you about the next topic which is your up-coming projects.

 
 I am working on “Volume 2” which would be the follow-up to the current album. The structure will be more about exterior versus interior rather than emotional such as “Vol. 1” examines. I want to have it split production into further electronics and more about the singer/songwriter experience. The album will be half electronic heavy, pop oriented with subject views of society, emotions. Then the 2nd half will peel back and have even more of an organic and dark feel. This is where the internal perspective of the person will come from. At the end of the day to hear a song from a musician and perhaps never have met nor know them but by the time the musical journey of the song took place one can feel like they have known me as a close friend for years. I am looking to do the 2nd half in a more piano and vocals solely. A much more stripped down sound and feel.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment