JD Eicher: This Heart (exclusive interview!) Part 2



JD Eicher – The Youngstown, Ohio native is going solo from his long time and 
successful band; “JD Eicher & the Goodnights.” This time JD is looking to in his first brand new album; “The Middle Distance” to branch out his singer/songwriter experience through his story telling from start to finish. JD Eicher is now having the time to breath and have success be on his own terms. From his successful group’s three album’s “The Shape of Things,” “Shifting,” & “Into Place” the entire band gelled so well and got fame from being national touring opening acts for; Train, Kelly Clarkson, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Rod Stewart, Pete Yorn and Dave Matthews Band. People took note of the band and singles such as; “Aaron” and “I’d Like to Get to Know You.” 
 
 JD is truly a gifted musician and people took note of him from the start. It is only fitting that  he now tries as many other artists have done in the past to test the waters of a solo artist. “The Middle Distance” is an album which is something pure and simply JD Eicher’s written music that will bring one to delight and as it has myself become a devoted fan.

Enjoy the second installment of JD Eicher's interview with "The Beat!" that was so enjoyable we never wanted it to end!






So, that big day came (that dreaded day), when you had to have “the talk” with your fellow band members, the Goodnights, how did that go for all of you?

Well, thankfully, most of them had already had "the talk," so it ended up just being a basic refresher of the sexual organs.

Just kidding. :-) I'm guessing you're referring to the name change? Believe it or not, the idea was first brought up by one of the other band members. We all had come to feel like "JD Eicher & the Goodnights" was a bit unwieldy, and it had created a lot of confusion online and with show promotions, since I often played solo. Since this new album was so personal anyway, this just seemed like the natural moment to simplify. So, even though I'm probably still an egomaniac, I can distance myself a little in this situation :-) The band is still together and creatively involved.

What is your favorite song on your new album, “The Middle Distance?”

I'm probably most proud of "Not Everybody Runs." It may be my favorite of all my songs. At least at the moment. But there's a reason for each one, so they all have substance for me.

With that being said, what do you think was your defining album, track and performance that
you along with the Goodnights, when you knew all stars were aligning and it was pure perfection?

Hmm. Tough one. The Middle Distance is my favorite record I've made. But the prior three albums fit together as a trilogy, and that is my favorite project I've done (and was the most important for my development as a songwriter).

As far a performance perfection, I don't think it exists. If it does, we're still working toward it. I think the space between where you are and where you want to be is the most inspiring thing. We're always trying to improve.

What else can we look forward to in the upcoming months (such as singles, music videos, venues, collaborations etc)?

In addition to the Nicholas Sparks soundtrack EP (which will be available in September), we'll be on the road a lot over the next few months. We're playing some festivals, colleges, venues, and house concerts and looking forward to it! www.jdeicher.com is the place for all that info.

Now, I would like to do a quick fun game with you; “The First Word!” It is simple, I say something and you tell me the very first thing that comes to your mind (it can be a word or sentence).
    ·         JD Eicher WEIRDO
    ·         Rock Ridge Music (where JD recorded his solo album) SOLID CREW
    ·         The Shape of Things SHIFTING INTO PLACE
    ·         The Goodnights GOOD DUDES
    ·         James Taylor TALENT
    ·         The Eagles TWANG
    ·         Your song “Aaron” RESTLESSNESS
    ·         Your album "The Middle Distance" LOTS OF TIME IN MY BASEMENT
    ·         Favorite party song TIPSY
    ·         Favorite song to wake-up to "DREAMGIRL" (DMB)
    ·         A song that inspires you "THE OBVIOUS CHILD" (PAUL SIMON)
    ·         The most underrated singer MATTHEW GOOD
    ·         Fame BITTERSWEET
    ·         Success MINDSET
    ·         Most romantic song "WONDERFUL TONIGHT" (CLAPTON)
    ·         A singer you would love to collaborate with PAUL SIMON
    ·         A song that describes you "THE OBVIOUS CHILD" (PAUL SIMON)
    ·         Most overrated song WHAT'S TOPPING THE CHARTS RIGHT NOW?
    ·         Favorite word to say YES
    ·         Favorite soundtrack JURASSIC PARK

Ok, now that was fun! Let’s finish the interview with a couple more questions, quick ones I promise!

There must be a dream performance for you; a venue, cover song, a fellow artist’s collaboration with you…what would this look life for you?

I think it'd be awesome to have a side project band with some of my musician friends some day. 

What can we look forward to for your next album?

No idea yet, haha!

What is the one item you must always have in your refrigerator?

Hummus.

A typical day for JD Eicher; walk us through it.

1. Wake up.
2. Cocaine.
3. Limo ride to the mall.
4. Cocaine.
5. Downtime.
6. Food.
7. Cocaine.
8. Rock show.
9. Cocaine.
10. Downtime.
11. Bed.

Just kidding about the downtime. :-) But in all seriousness, it varies a lot. Because of the constant travel with this job, you can't really get into a routine. I just do my best to always work on some music and some business and some life every day. Sometimes it pans out and sometimes I only get to one or two of those things.

Is there one particular item that you still have and truly want to conquer?

Hmm I'd like to spend more time writing prose. It has fallen to the wayside, and I'd like to get back into it. 

In your own words, what is the best way to describe your music?

Lately I default to "Singer-songwriter" and/or "Melodic rock."

Your voice always sounds so strong and crisp, how do you take care of it?

Wow, thanks! I don't always feel that way, but I'm glad you do. :-)

Most singers have a routine. I've tried almost everything - the oils, the vaporizers, etc. -, but I think the best combination for me is just being properly warmed up, rested, and hydrated.

What is the one statement or word that you would love to attain for your fans to state after listening and/or seeing you live in concert?
"I can't wait to go to the next one."

(PHOTO CREDITS: David Bean)

JD Eicher's Official Sites:
Official website:  http://jdeicher.com/
Twitter:      https://twitter.com/jdeicher
Itunes:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-middle-distance/id1097239745


0 comments:

Post a Comment